Friday, May 21, 2010

Where it all began........



Back in 2006, my youngest daughter asked me “Dad, why do you smoke…..?” And I couldn’t give her an answer, other than, “because I do………” And it got me thinking. I decided that at New Year, I was going to stop. I carried on as normal for a couple of months, and then, on New Years Eve, we were at a party at a mates house. At midnight, I went outside, lit my last cigarette, smoked it and said to myself “that’s my last one, ever”. I told no one, and it didn’t click with my family for nearly a week!

After that first week, I felt healthier, could taste my food better……. And I decided I needed an incentive to make sure I stayed off them. What? I didn’t know, but I wanted to regain some fitness too. One day in work, some friends asked me if I would take them up a mountain, they wanted to get into walking. They knew I had done a bit when I was younger, and that I was pretty nifty with a map and compass…… so, I dug out my maps of Snowdonia, and looked for a fairly easy walk to take them on as a starter. I settled on Y Garn, and on a fantastic morning in February, we set off, up the Devils Kitchen steps.








On reaching the top, I knew just how unfit I had become, and I thought to myself “this was a bad idea!!!” But, I ploughed on, as did the others, on the slog that is the path up to Y Garn. And when I got there…….. magical. The sky was so crystal clear, we could see the Lake District mountains, the Wicklows In Southern Ireland across the water, even Blackpool Tower!! Amazing, and I was awestruck. We were so blown away by the view no one spoke for a few minutes. And then, at that moment, I knew, I wanted to do this again!!!


And so I did. I went on a forum meet in Edale a couple of months later, and met a fine bunch of guys, most of whom I am still firm friends with today. We walked around Kinder, got pissed in the pub, and generally had a damn good time! And that meet, and the people I met there allowed me to branch out. Living as I do in Mid Wales, and not being a driver, transport to anywhere is very limited. But after this meet, I arranged to meet folk and get lifts and started getting out to new places, places I had never seen before. I climbed Snowdon, did Crib Goch (yay!!), Tryfan, the Brecon Beacons, even a trip or two to the Lakes. And with every trip, as my experience grew, my hunger to do more and more of it grew with it.


As I pointed out in my welcome post, I have diversified even more now. I was introduced by my now very good friend Terry to wild camping – more of that later. And in a bid to get fitter, I started running. Then I thought, why not combine the two? And so I did. I’m the worlds crappest fell runner for sure, but I try, and I like it! And then to cross train on my non running days I decided to buy a bike. Initially my thinking was a hybrid or road bike……. But then someone said “why not spend the money on a decent 2nd hand MTB, then you can have some fun on it on the weekends….?” So I did. And got bitten by another bug! Im also the worlds crappest MTB rider, but in time, and with practice, I hope my skills will improve, but as one of the guys on the MTB forum told me – just get out there and ride!!

Photobucket




So, if you find yourself driving past a mountain, looking up and wondering what its like up there……. Then get a map and compass (and learn how to use them!!), and then get up there!! You don’t need soopa doopa expensive kit, just a few basics, and a lot of common sense, and a sense of adventure. Same with MTB. A decent second hand bike, and a few basic essentials will see you right, then its just a matter of getting out there and riding it! There are plenty of trail centres all over the UK with  trails for a broad range of skills from newbie to hardcore, and similarly, you will find plenty of wilderness rides to suit all abilities.

So………..

Why are you still reading this……??? GET OUT THERE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment