Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tryfan, Bristly Ridge and Y Gribin

One of my work colleagues has been asking me for ages to get him out on the hills with me, and, after discovering he was pretty keen on climbing and bouldering, I thought Tryfan would be a great starting point for him. So, yesterday, we set out in glorious blue skies for Ogwen Valley, and picked up another of my hill walking buddies, Bic, on the way.

We arrived at the foot of Tryfan around 9.30, and set off straight away. There were a lot of cars around, and with the scorching weather, I figured the hills would be busy today, and Tryfan likely top of the list for many, so it was a surprise when we saw relatively few people for quite some time. 




Photobucket






We set off up the North Ridge, making a beeline for the Cannon, so Pete could get some pictures on it, and of course I had to have one or two on there myself, as you do!
Photobucket

We then cracked on, up to the summit. Bic did Adam and Eve about 15 times while I tried to get a  dramatic shot (just one more mate!!) I had no desire to do it myself, so, after a quick bite to eat, we cracked on down the South Ridge, the plan being to do Bristly Ridge via on of the smaller side gulleys and then up on to Glyder Fawr.  After the usual knee jarring descent, we got to Bwlch Tryfan, and Bic started looking at Sinister Gulley, and announced he fancied going up that way. Now, I have done it once before, or at least part of it, and wasn’t really fussed about doing it again, but as the other two lads wanted a bash, I thought I may as well throw my lot in with them. 


Photobucket


Last time, about 2/3rds of the way up, there is a narrow ledge to be crossed, with a long drop behind, to allow you to continue on up the gulley – I bottled it last time, mainly due to my shoulder (recurrent dislocation) but this time, with shoulder newly fixed, I didn’t bat an eyelid and just went straight over it – what was all the fuss about last time??


Photobucket

After passing this bit, we were then nearly at the top – and that is where I nearly came unstuck. The last climb out of the gulley is a bit tricky, narrow, and though there are good holds, once you are on it, it is very difficult to see where your feet are going. I found it a bit unnerving on the first attempt, and decided to drop back down and go around the same way as when I bottled out last time. Two guys were coming up, and one of them asked if I was ok, I told him I was fine, just couldn’t manage the last bit, so was going to go around. I never did get the guys name, but, he told me “if you have got this far, you can do the last bit” I wasn’t convinced, but, after a few more words of gentle encouragement from him, I decided to give it another go. With BIc and Pete encouraging from above, and these two guys from below, I flew up it! So, I topped out of Sinister Gulley properly for the first time, and felt an amazing sense of achievement. I shook the two guys who had helped by the hand, then stopped for a breather, and reflected on what I’d just done.




On we went, over Great Pinnacle Gap and up on to the top of Bristly Ridge, sweating like mad in the scorching heat. A gentle breeze had blown up by now, and the cloud that had been forming all day over the Carneddau started to move over and shrouded the sun now and again to provide a little welcome relief from the heat.


Photobucket

We had lunch here, then headed over to the Cantilever again to get pics of Pete.


Photobucket


 I didn’t bother, as there were a lot of people around, and we had bumped into a guy who looked like he was MRT, so we had a natter with him, and indeed he was a member of Ogwen MRT on his day off, but still carrying a pack full of ropes, helmet, radio, slings and harnesses...... dedication for you. He was a really nice chap, and turned out we had met him before – he was manning a checkpoint on the summit of Pen Yr Ole Wen lasyt year on the Oggie 8 - he took a picture for us. We walked a short way with him chatting all the while, and then said our farewells as we headed off down Y Gribin to make our way back to the car. Another knee shattering descent, but worth it, some of the views of Tryfan and Bristly Ridge from here are amongst the best.


Photobucket


Photobucket

So, back to the car, all very happy, we had all achieved a personal first that day, so it had been a cracking trip, and one worth celebrating, so we finished off the day with a pint in the beer garden next to Cotswolds in Betws Y Coed.

Brilliant. Id just like to say once again, thanks to the two guys who helped me in sSinister Gulley, and to Pete and Bic for all their encouragement, it was a huge help, and I achieved something I had never done before, so thanks guys.
And another trip to Tryfan has reinforced why it is my favourite mountain. No two days on Tryfan are ever the same, be it the weather, the route up you take, or the people you meet on the way. A truly iconic mountain.


Thanks also to Bic for the use of the photo with me in it, taken in Sinister Gulley

2 comments:

  1. i wouldn't mind giving that a go phil. i'm not the best person with exposure but i really need to give myself a kick up the arse as i just frighten myself out of even trying .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same at times mate, I think I had talked myself out of the climb out before I had tried it properly. With a bit of encouragement I was fine and flew up it no problem!

    ReplyDelete