Monday, May 09, 2011

Now Im back, best update everyone on my new steeds!! Most of my friends have already seen them, but just a few quick notes about them for anyone else who may be interested.

Kona Tanuki at Pole Bank, Long Mynd

MTB: Kona Tanuki 2011. I managed to blag this on the cycle to Work scheme last year, and for under a grand, its not a bad bike! The drivetrain leaves a bit to be desired, Deore rear derailler and Alivio front and shifters, but it gets the job done. The forks are Tora 302s, air sprung, and again good for the price point, but as you'd expect a tad heavy. Rear bounce is a Kona own brand shock, and is actually pretty good. It came with Avid Juicy 3 stoppers, more than adequate. Mine actually developed a leak in the rear brake reservoir, and lucky old me got them replaced with Avid Elixirs - thanks SRAM! Its billed as an "all mountain" bike, but what is it really? Well, as an XC bike, its grand, but a tad heavy, going up the climbs I sometimes yearn for a lightweight hardtail, but going down the other side, the rear suspension comes into its own and keeps the rear wheel on the ground, giving lots of traction, and a more assured ride. Its great for trail centres in the UK, which is what most mtbers want it for. Sturdy enough as a full downhill bike? I'm no crazy downhiller, but I'd say a firm no. Its built to last, but wont stand the sort of abuse a downhill bike gets daily. Marks out of ten, I'd give it a 7.

Giant Defy 3.5
Road bike: Giant Defy 3.5

I bought this only a few weeks ago for 425 notes off a guy who had too many bikes. Bough this as a winter bike, but built a fixie from an old frame and decided to use that as his work commute. After only 3 rides, this was surplus, and my lucky day. It was a perfect fit, too, which is unusal. Wheres the catch? Well Im happy to say there was none, just pure good fortune!






The Defy at Leighton Hall
I bought it as a fitness bike, a couple of 10-20 mile rides a week at "pootle" pace to keep the legs going and burn some calories...... but the road bug bit. Hard. I love it. Never saw the attraction before, but now I own and ride one, well, how wrong was I? I'm nor riding 60 miles or so in the week and 30-60 at weekends. The weight is dropping off me, I feel hugely fitter and most important of all, I can switch off. its my escape, my freedom that in the week I cant get any other way. Running did it for some time, but bad knees spoiled that to a degree. Lack of impact riding the bike means I can just spin the pedals and switch off from the daily grind - me time.

The 3.5 standard fit is Shimano 2300, but mine had been upgraded to Sora. Drivetrain and brakes. Carbon seatpost and stem lightened the load further, as did Shimano R500 wheels.  Eventually, the drivetrain will be upgraded to Ultegra and the wheels..... undecided yet, but new tyres first!! The seat is a Madison Prime, Im not convinced so far, get numbum after 30 miles or so, but just bought Altura ProGel bibshorts, so we'll see. I've already added Ultegra clipless pedals and some very nice Specialized road shoes, upgrading is part of the fun for me.

Compared to the "carthorse" MTB, this is a thoroughbred. Flies along with seemingly minimal effort, shifts through the gears sweetly, and is simply a joy to ride.

More on the bikes and some of my rides to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment