Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Endomondo, the end?

As most of my friends and outdoor buddies know, I have been using Endomondo for some time to track my runs, rides and walks. Its been a fantastic tool, great for sharing what I'm up to on the likes of Facebook, and the live tracking is superb - my family know where I am, and if I'm not moving. Thats a real plus for anyone who goes out on their own a lot as I do.

But, the arrival of the road bike started the beginning of what may yet be the end of my love affair with Endo......

One thing you really need on a road bike to save you a load of messing about getting your phone in and out of pockets or arm wallets is Autopause. Now, if you have an Android phone, I hasten to point out you are fine, and autopause is very much supported, but if, like me, you are a Nokia fan and still on Symbian.....its not there. It's been promised a long time, and I'm constantly told its coming, but I've yet to see it.

So, what to do? Well I went and downloaded the latest version of Sports Tracker from Ovi. Ok, it has no live share, which is a bit of a downer, but it does have a very good autopause! Add to the fact the website is now much improved, the stats presentation in particular is excellent, its a better experience than previously. And of course they don't overlook  Symbian, so a real plus for Nokia users. Heres an example of Sports Tracker workout presentation from a recent ride:

Tregynon Hilly Loop

and one from Endomondo:

Newtown to Llanidloes Loop

Another thing I have noticed is that it picks up a satellite lock almost instantly, whereas Endomondo can take an age.....and drain your battery. It also has an automatic geotag facility - take a picture on your run/walk/ride and it tags it and asks during upload of you want to also upload the pictures, then displays them on the route at the point they were taken - clever!

So, am I convinced to make the switch? Not really, at least not permanently. Both have good points, and I suspect I'll be swayed by whichever comes up with what the other has first - Sports Tracker with a live view facility, or Endomondo with that all important autopause. Maybe for now I can use them in tandem, something I have yet to try.

If you have never tried on of these, and you are a keen sports enthusiast, then you really should. I have tried many things from Nike+ to GPS unit to these on my mobile, and the phone apps are by far and away the easiest to use and most effective.

Oh, and if you are a runner with a decent music phone like my Nokia 5800, it works well with music too!

No comments:

Post a Comment