Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Endomondo

Well, finally got phone sorted, couldnt fix mine, and was lucky enough to be given an N95 by a mate, so all good!

As I was setting up my new one, well, old new one, I was well miffed to disover that Nokia is no longer supporting Sports Tracker in its current form, they have released a new version of the software which is really geared to their touch screen phones, and have also canned the Sports Tracker website as of the end of June..
Great, thanks for that Nokia, there's me singing the praises of them recently on here, only to find their response is to say, "like Sports Tracker, but don't have a new S60 5th generation phone? UNLUCKY!!!!! But, as with most software, someone can come up with something at least as good and often better for free, and sure enough, I came across ENDOMONDO, a free, web based tracker of phone GPS logged or Garmin watch GPS devices. I installed it on the N95 to give it a blast, and took it out for a run again this evening. Last week, I had music on and it didn't log any GPS data, hmmmmmm....... but the N95 is a little lacking in memory, so tonight, music was provided by my iPod, and the phone was just tracking the GPS data...... worked a treat, instant lock with A-GPS, and tracked the run flawlessly all the way through. I checked the distance on Memory Map when I got back - bang on!!

As with Sports Tracker, you upload your data to the Endomondo web portal, and it has all the features of the Sports Tracker website and more! Bits like blog and social network sharing are there as you would expect, but the interface is more user friendly, and there is more information. The site is generally pleasing on the eye, and I enjoyed using it.

And I love this - live tracking - you can log in at any time and see where I am, so if I am late getting back, my family can see where I am and if I'm moving, so that's getting off with any cute female runners I meet out of the window!!! There are also settings for walking, mountain biking, and a whole host of other sports, so its a very useful tool, and if you are an outdoorsy person with GPS on their phone, it's definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment